“At Art Farm, I became more clear on my vision and more aware of my limitations as an individual working alone.... It was a blank piece of paper to start fresh.”
2007-2008 Midwestern Voices and Visions artist
* NOTE: The application deadline for 2013-2014 has passed.
Applying for Midwestern Voices and Visions
Please read through the following before applying for the 2013 Midwestern Voices and Visions award. If you have additional questions, email the Alliance of Artists Communities.
Application Deadline: June 7, 2012
Eligibility: The program seeks to promote artists of color working in any visual, literary, and/or performance-based media, who display artistic excellence, are committed to an artistic career, and are under-served, under-recognized or under-represented in the mainstream (artists who have not had extensive solo exhibitions at galleries or museums or have not received any major grants or fellowships for individual artists.)
Midwestern Voices and Visions accepts applications from artists from all disciplines who
- identify as a person of color;
- are permanent residents of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, or Wisconsin;
- are not degree-seeking students at any time in 2012 or 2013; and
- have not participated in an artist residency previously.
Review Process: Applications and work samples will be viewed by a prestigious panel of artists and art professionals from the Midwest as well as representatives from each of the seven artist residency programs. Finalists will be notified in October/November 2012 and residencies will occur in 2013.
Artist Requirements: If chosen for the Midwestern Voices and Visions award, artists agree to:
- attend a full residency at the assigned location,
- cooperate with the documentation of the residency and the work produced,
- complete an exit interview and evaluation of the residency, and
- assist the Consortium with other publicity about the project to the best of his/her ability.
The $4000 award may be used at the artist's discretion (e.g., for materials or travel to and from the residency, to offset loss of income during the residency, etc.); however, receipt of the award is contingent on the artist's completion of a month-long residency and compliance with the requirements stated above.
More questions? Read our FAQ's
Continue to Application Requirements