Whether standing on a soapbox or shouting from the rooftops, advocating on behalf of artists' residencies and individual artists is at the core of the Alliance's work!
Current legislative areas of focus include:
- Increased funding for National Endowment for the Arts and a rejection of any attempt to reduce its size or scope
- Affordable health insurance for artists and small businesses through Affordable Care Act
- Support for international cultural exchange
- Fair market value deductions for artists who donate their work.
Past advocacy initiatives have included:
- "Be Our Guest," a series of public programs on residencies, serving artists from around the country.
- Advocacy National Endowment for the Arts: The Alliance's advocacy work on behalf of the field led the NEA to create a new funding category for artists' communities in November 2009.
- Previously, the Alliance worked with the NEA to create a separate selection panel for residencies in the multidisciplinary category, resulting in a 48% increase in NEA funding to residencies.