The FINE ARTS WORK CENTER in Provincetown offers a unique residency program for emerging artists and writers. Located in a rustic fishing village with a storied history as an arts colony, the Work Center provides seven-month Fellowships to twenty Fellows each year in the form of living/work space and a modest monthly stipend of $750. Residencies run from October 1 through April 30. Fellows pursue their work independently in a diverse and supportive community of peers.
Provincetown, Massachusetts: United States
- Residency Length: 7 months
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 20+
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 20
- Total applicant pool in most current year: 1100
- Application type: Open application
- Collaboration: May apply as a team
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
- Additional eligibility information:
Fine Arts Work Center Fellowships are open to writers and visual artists in the emerging stages of their careers. Juries of professionals make the admissions decisions. Writers may apply in fiction and poetry. In the visual arts, 2D, 3D and time-based work is considered. Collaborative teams may apply, however if selected only one Fellowship will be awarded and split amongst collaborators.
The Fine Arts Work Center actively seeks applicants from diverse cultural backgrounds. The Fine Arts Work Center welcomes family members and partners of Writing and Visual Fellows during the Winter Fellowship Term.
- Application deadline: February 01, December 01
- Additional deadline info: Each year, the deadline for the Writing Fellowship applications is December 1, and the deadline for The Visual Arts Fellowship applications is February 1.
Past Residents & Quotes
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private housing (individual apartment/cabin/house)
All fellows are provided with private furnished apartments with kitchens and baths.
- Meals: Residents make own meals/groceries provided
Fellows are responsible for their own meals.
- Computer/internet access: Computer and internet connection provided in common area (shared), Wireless Internet
- Companions: Pets Allowed, Spouses/partners allowed for full stay, Children allowed for full stay
Pets allowed in three units, available on a first come, first served basis ($100 nonrefundable deposit). Spouses/partners and children allowed for full stay.
- Accessibility: housing/grounds/studios are accessible
First-floor living quarters and studios are accessible; public areas are accessible.
- Studios/special equipment: Exhibition / Installation, Film / Digital editing, Painting, Photography (digital), Printmaking, Sculpture
- Additional studio information:Visual Arts Fellows are provided with apartments and separate working studios of approximately 400 square feet of floor space. Additional facilities include a basic woodshop, a print shop with etching and lithography press and a computer lab featuring a basic video editing suite and large format digital printer. Writing Fellows are housed in two- to three-room apartments. The Stanley Kunitz Common Room is handicapped accessible, as are some living spaces and working studios.
- Other facilities and services: Common room or meeting space for residents' use; laundry facilities and parking onsite; smoking permitted at designated outdoor areas only.