The Goetemann Residency at Rocky Neck Art Colony nurtures excellence in the visual arts and celebrates both a broad range of artistic approaches as well as the rich artistic culture of Rocky Neck. Located in Gloucester, Massachusetts, the Residency includes a waterfront live-work studio at no charge and access to a rich and varied cultural community.
Gloucester, Massachusetts: United States
- Residency Length: one month
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 1-5
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 3
- Total applicant pool in most current year: 40
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
- Application deadline: March 15
- Additional deadline info: There are three one-month residency periods: These are also listed on the application form at www.rockyneckcolony.org. May 15 - June 15 July 9 - August 10 September 6 - October 6
Past Residents & Quotes
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private housing (individual apartment/cabin/house)
The studio has ceiling spots for the lighting of walls. Excellent air circulation as it gets a breeze from the water. It is 500 square feet, private and attached to a home and marina and there is access to a huge deck on the ground floor that overlooks the ocean and the City of Gloucester. There is a bed and dresser and a small "pullman" kitchen (hot plate and microwave and cabinets and sink and full size refrigerator) and a shared bathroom/shower next to the studio. Laundromat within walking distance.
- Meals: No meals/food provided
Residents have a kitchen and are responsible for their own meals. Groceries and restaurants are easily accessible from the studio.
- Accessibility: no
It would be difficult for a standard size wheel chair. There are large doors to enter the studio but the bathroom entrance is standard width.
- Studios/special equipment: Exhibition / Installation, Painting
- Additional studio information:The studio is a 500 square foot space with white working walls, high ceiling and 4' x 8' work table. It has a futon, bathroom and small kitchen. There is no wireless access, but most artists have used the local library or our great local coffee shops for computer access. The studio does not have any technical facilities for film making, printing,etc. Artists wishing to do anything of a technical nature would need to bring their own equipment.
- Other facilities and services: The Goetemann Residency is located in the midst of an arts community. Whatever the artist's discipline, there will be others with whom to work.