By connecting Creative, Environmental, and Economic ideas and disciplines, the Rensing Center offers ways to explore and share the wisdom of its namesake, teacher and artist Evelyn Rensing Kochansky. Artist in Residence programs of three weeks to three months are offered in, but not limited to, music, painting, metal, wood, photography, poetry, playwriting and environmental studies. Our residency periods for 2018 will be March 1st- August 30th. You may request residencies lasting from 3 weeks to 3 months. The pastoral setting is conducive to relaxing and recharging, as residents learn from the diverse perspectives of the people around them, focus on a specific project, or open up new ways of thinking for their own professional practice. Living and workspaces are provided for self-motivated applicants seeking an isolated rural, creative landscape, which fosters interconnections, inspiration and information.
Pickens, South Carolina: United States
- Residency Length: 3 weeks - 6 months - March - August 2018
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 3-5
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 20
- Total applicant pool in most current year: 67
- Application type: Open application
- Collaboration: May apply as a team
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
- Additional eligibility information:
The Rensing Center is an equal opportunity program and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief. We WELCOME and ENCOURAGE diversity.
- Application Ongoing: Yes
- Additional deadline info: Please submit applications at least 2 months before requested residency date. Waitlisted applications are retained for future openings and cancellations.
Past Residents & Quotes
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private housing (individual apartment/cabin/house), Private bedroom in a shared housing facility
Housing: • Cottage with private bath and kitchen • Two private bedrooms in the studio building with shared bath and kitchen (offered to collaborative groups) • Private bedroom in main hall with bath and kitchen
- Meals: No meals/food provided
One weekly potluck. Residents gather together one evening a week for a shared meal and discussion. Residents may gather food from the vegetable garden when in season.
- Computer/internet access: Computer and internet connection provided in common area (shared), Computer and internet connection provided in living or studio area (private), Wireless Internet
- Companions: Spouses/partners allowed for full stay
If interested in bringing spouse/partner or applying as a collaborative group residency fee will be discussed and negotiated.
- Accessibility: housing/grounds/studios are accessible
Head Quarters wheelchair accessible, all living spaces and studios on one floor, small step-up in studio building and cottage, paved drives.
- Additional studio information:Residents provide their own materials and tools. Visual artists are provided with semi-private studio space. Writers may use the library or their own private rooms equipped with desks. Open uncovered area at the studio building and locations in the garden provide outdoor workspace for various media. Aged but playable upright piano available in Main Hall.
- Other facilities and services: Facilities include gallery/exhibition space, well-lighted studios, growing art library with desks and comfortable seating, shared laundry facilities, private kitchens, gardens, trails, and waterfall.