18th Street Arts Center is an artists’ residency program that provokes public dialogue through contemporary art-making. We value art-making as an essential part of a vibrant, just and healthy society. Through our artist residencies we are a contemporary art hub that fosters inter-cultural collaboration and dialogue. 18th Street's residencies, exhibitions, public events, talks, and publications encourage, showcase and support the creation of cutting-edge contemporary art and foster collaboration and interaction between artists locally, nationally and internationally.18th Street Arts Center’s Visiting Artist Residency Program hosts artists from across the United States and from around the world. There are three, rotating, live/work artist studios at the center where artists are in residence from 1 to 3 months (sometimes longer). This program hosts artists of all disciplines and occasionally invites art curators, writers and musicians.For information on 18th Street's other residency programs for local artists, visit www.18thstreet.org.
Santa Monica, California: United States
- Residency Length: 1-3 months
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 3 Visiting Artists-in-Residence; 20+ other residents
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 16-20
- Application type: Open application
- Collaboration: May apply as a team
- Geography: Open to US artists, Open to non-US artists
- Application Ongoing: Yes
Past Residents & Quotes
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private housing (individual apartment/cabin/house)
Visiting artists-in-residence are provided with a private, furnished live/work space (with bath and kitchenette).
- Meals: No meals/food provided
Live/work studios are equipped with a kitchenette for residents to prepare their own meals.
- Companions: Pets Allowed, Spouses/partners allowed for full stay, Children allowed for full stay
Cleaning deposit required for pets.
- Accessibility: housing/grounds/studios are accessible
Public areas are wheelchair accessible.
- Studios/special equipment: Dance / Choreography, Exhibition / Installation, Painting, Photography (digital), Photography (non-digital)
- Other facilities and services: Common room or meeting space provided for residents’ use; laundry facilities on-site; smoking allowed outdoors, in private living areas, and in studios.